Do creatives need 📚school?

Many creatives ask themselves “What’s the point?”, when asked this question. This answer is normally followed by the “What will school teach me that I don’t already know?” argument. Which I think is fair enough because in all truth if you are a gifted artisan and have found a way to make a living through your craft, it seems fair to believe you do not need a certificate to validate you.

The truth is you as an individual you always know what is best for you. Fortunately the Arts/Design industry is one where a qualification is not as important as in other industries. For example, you will not find a large printed board at the top of a designer’s studio-door which lists all of the designer’s qualifications in chronological order 🙅🏾. Instead you will meet well-known designers and soon learn that they did not even go to school for what they are now praised for. Isn’t that interesting?

I believe in taking full advantage of the opportunities that are offered to you. Even though we are currently living in an era where the value of book knowledge is slowly depreciating, when my parents offered me the chance to study until Masters Degree level I told myself that I will not let this opportunity pass me by. I have also learned that a lot of the ‘No school’ success stories came to being because they could not afford to continue with school (for whatever reason) and that is why I respect these artisans so much. For they did not waste time crying and complaining about no being able to study, instead they took what they had and made the best out of it. Now? Now they are the best at what they do!!

I believe that this matter is more of making the best use of your resources, what do you think? School🎓 or no school?

aphsie_signature-copy

10 Comments Add yours

1. Mack says:

Definitely school 😩💅

Liked by 1 person

1. Aphsie says:

Most definitely 💃🏾

2. blacksacredsam says:

Creativity can’t be taught, and neither can hard work and dedication. There’s little that artists can inly learn in school. Most of what we know is learnt through experience. There are no solid formulas here. Each to his own I guess.

Liked by 1 person

1. Aphsie says:

Such truth! The one good thing I’ve found about school is that it gives me the knowledge I need in order to make the best use of my creativity. For me school knowledge and creativity feed off each other 👍🏾👍🏾

Liked by 1 person

3. Soulove says:

I agree with you Aphelele when you say school, I believe it helps sharpen your craft.

Liked by 1 person

1. Aphsie says:

It really does Soulove, and all the knowledge you gain from school puts you, the student, at such an advantage when you enter your chosen industry 👊🏾

4. pinktality says:

School my dear
    If your parents can take you to it
    HOWEVER,I have since learnt that schools did not equip us that well to be self sufficient.We depended too much on being hired rather than on hiring ourselves.
    The go to school than get a job mental indocrination dealt us a heavy blow.

Liked by 1 person

1. Aphsie says:

That is such truth Pinktality! As a matter of fact school teaches us to think a certain type of way and it is all up to us to further equip ourselves! On point 👌🏾

5. FemiBu says:

School for me. The talent has always been there, I would say I was born with it, but school was needed to get the skill to use the talent to the best of my ability!

Liked by 1 person